RG - Elemental Apocalypse (Tribal)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RG - Elemental Apocalypse (Tribal)

Post  DarkRequiem on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 pm

This deck might need some revamping. It is a red and green deck centered in a combo: Worldgorger Dragon & Apocalypse. After the combo triggers and the board is cleaned its time to beat up the opponent to pulp through the use of hasted elementals.
Thing is I only own one Worldgorger Dragon so searching for one or two more. Aside from that the choice on the elementals might not be the best. But since this deck hasn't seen much playing yet it might be good to first test and then swap with better cards whatever needs to be changed.

Deck:
LANDS - 21
7 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Primal Beyond
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Karpulsan Forest
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
1 Spinerock Knoll

SPELLS - 15
4 Apocalypse
4 Utopia Sprawl
3 Harmonize
2 Urza's Incubator
1 Collective Unconscious
1 Summoner's Pact

CREATURES - 24
4 Inner-Flame Acolyte
3 Coal Stoker
3 Smokebraider
3 Soulbright Flamekin
3 Cinder Elemental
2 Root Elemental
1 Aboroth
1 Cytospawn Chambler
1 Incandescent Soulstoke
1 Spectral Force
1 Thicket Elemental
1 Worldgorger Dragon

Although not quite an elemental deck, this resolves mostly around elementals because a. they're cool and b. with the coming of Lorwyn they've became quite fast to play, offering all the mana I needed for the 11 converted mana cost (cmc) combo.
And why is this deck considered fast? Take a look at Root Elemental and Thicket Elemental; they allow you to play creature cards for free. Now, take another look at Coal Stoker, Smokebraider and Soulbright Flamekin; they're mana accelerators that fit the deck quite nicely. Apart from that, green allows me to play auras that also accelerate mana. In this case Utopia Sprawl makes its appearance and doesn't disappoint a bit.

As for the combo, when I play the Dragon everything on my side is removed from the game, leaving me a open for the kill. Yet, before playing it I should leave 5 mana floating (at least 3 of them being red, of course) so that I can play Apocalypse, now removing everything from the game: both my lonely Dragon and everything on my opponent's side. Granted, I loose my hand too, but who cares? My opponent is manaless, creatureless, incapacitated to block my creatures! And since the Dragon leaves play when Apocalypse resolves, everything I removed from the game comes back into play untapped: using Inner-Flame Acolyte to grant haste to my other creatures and the Cytospawn Shambler Graft ability I can swing Spectral Force and Aboroth for at least 26 damage, considering the right board - Cytospawn Shambler, Incadescent Soulstoke, Spectral Force, Aboroth, at least 2 Inner-Flame Acolyte and Skarrg, the Rage Pits.

Also consider that both Spinerock Knoll and Mosswort Bridge have Hideaway which allow even better speed and the chance to play elementals (or even the Dragon) for the cost of 1 mana.

Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

View user profile http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top